Spell it the way you want to!
Although Office has its own dictionary, it probably does not contain all the words and jargon that you use. If this is the case, you can add your own frequently used terms, and names to the dictionary.
- Open Word
- From the Tools menu, click Options
(See link below for 2007)
- Select the Spelling and Grammar tab
- Click the Custom Dictionaries button
- Place a check beside the dictionary you want to modify
- Click the Modify button
- In the Word field, type in the word you want to add to the dictionary and click the Add button Click OK
- Click OK to close the Custom Dictionaries dialog box
- Click OK to close the Options dialog box
The Custom.dic file is a text file. You can create it or edit it using notepad.
Multiple dictionaries can be created for special purposes, like a list of employee names.
The Custom.dic file is used by all of the Office applications that do Spell checking.
How to add a custom dictionary in Word
About.com: Working With Dictionaries in Word
Microsoft.com How to create an exclude dictionary in Word
Copy the Custom Dictionary to a Floppy Disk and Use It on Other Computers
Error when you add a word to the custom dictionary
See all Topics word