If you have trouble opening a Word document, or it is not working well, try these suggestions:
Delete all of Word's temp files.
- Go to Edit>Replace
- Make sure to include all of your local drives in the search and that "include subfolders" is checked.
- Search for:
- Then delete all these temp files.
- Use Edit>Find to locate Normal.DOT.
- Rename it (Normal.OLD) or delete it. Word will create a new copy when it restarts.
If that does not correct the problem, try this next step:
- Go to Start>Run and type:
(Note that there is a space before the /a)
- Then press ENTER. This starts Word without any add-ins, global templates, or Normal.DOT.
Look in Tools>Templates and Add-ins to see if there are any files that can be un-checked.
Knowledge base: How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start Word or when you work in Word
See all Topics word